Monday, March 17, 2014

Amuse the Muse Monday with Rebecca of Songbead

Well, we are charging through March. Many of you are now on Daylight-Saving Hours I know, and we here in the UK will have our clocks going forward to British Summer Time at the end of the month. I know it's kind of annoying to lose an hour (although my Mum used to be a night nurse, and I think that night work is actually one of the few times you'll be grateful for losing an hour of your night!) but I can't wait for the longer days and more light in the evenings. I'm all about the Spring and the Summer! I've also just started  a new mini-challenge that I'm sure some of you are doing too - #100daysofhappiness. You can follow me over on Instagram, because you know, I have a feeling beads and jewellery are going to feature in it quite heavily.....

Back to Amuse the Muse.....it's March, and it's stringing materials. This week, I wanted to feature a handmade product that I know many of you are excited by and have used. I haven't as yet, but I see it in my future, I really do.....

Wooly Wire.

Doesn't it even sound fun? It's made by Nellie Thomas and here's her description of her product:

WoolyWire is fiber that has been hand dyed and hand spun onto 24ga solid copper wire. It can be shaped, twisted, coiled, wrapped, woven through chain, formed into links, just to name a few ideas. It has been permanently felted to keep the fiber on the wire. 

I don't know Nellie, or her Mum, Karen Totten of Starry Road Studio personally, but their beautiful work pops up all over the place in my friends' work. It's the striking Wooly Wire in particular that never fails  to catch my eye. Here are just some of the colour schemes currently available - these are some of my own favourites. There are loads more, so do check out Wooly Wire Etc for more colour goodness!

Raspberry

Spring Mix

Orange Tango
Don't you just love Nellie's use of colour? And the wonderful textures? I think the possibilities here are fantastic - I know plenty of beaders who are also knitting/crochet/yarn enthusiasts, and this will be something that they are drawn to also. 

Check out some jewellery that other artists have created, featuring WoolyWire:


Lorelei Eurto (Hey, guess who owns this necklace now? I do!)



For those of you over on Pinterest, you can check out some more Wooly Wire designs here, and Nellie and her mum Karen also have a blog you can take a peek at. Genea CK also has a fab tutorial on how to finish ends and turn wrapped loops with Wooly Wire - check it out here! And if you are lucky enough to be going to Bead Fest Philly in August this year, you can even take a Wooly Wire class with Genea CK. A bit far for me to travel from the UK, but if you are on the same continent then perhaps you'll make it along :-) It looks like FUN!

If you have more fun stringing materials, particularly artisan-made or -altered, then do share them with me in the links below. Chain, wire, fibres, ribbon, yarn.....I want to see it all! 
And now for the BeadBlogger Links. Have a lovely week!









Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer, currently living in Belfast, Northern Ireland. You can read more about her and her work at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com. She also has a supplies shop at thecuriousbeadshop.etsy.com.

7 comments:

Third Eye Gypsy said...

What a wonderful post! Isn't Wooly Wire amazing?! I call myself the "whisperer of wooly wire" ;) Lol it really lends itself to so many wonderful designs! I think people are a bit intimidated about jumping into this wonderful new stringing material. It really is JUST like working with wire only with a fun fuzzy base! I am super excited to be teaching at Bead Fest Philly August 2014! I did a video tutorial on making how to teat the ends and do a simple wire wrap. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Sq9RELPDk Thanks again for such a wonderful post! xo Genea

Karin G said...

This is definitely a great material to use, and the colors are all gorgeous. Thank you so much for including my bracelet!

Claire Lockwood said...

I've had a pack of this for aaaaages! I really must use it....

Ema Kilroy said...

I've not used wooly wire before but I have seen Genea's gorgeous creations. Genea has a way that wooly wire. It's so fun and bright. It would be a great addition to spring and summer designs.

Third Eye Gypsy said...

Awww thanks so much for your kind words, Ema! You are such a sweet heart! It is SO much fun! You will be so addicted! xo Genea

Karen Totten said...

Thank you for the lovely lovely post!!! <3 <3 <3

Divya N said...

I havent used it yet but wouldnt it be fabulous to make beads with wooly wire